Sunday, April 14, 2013

Clintonville Dulcimer Club - for beginners, 3 meetings now

2012-04-14

We're still meeting!

We are a small group and the people are not a set group yet. It may be too much of a beginning group for some people. We are working on the very basic music skills: strumming, tuning, timing, listening, playing with others.

What I envision, is to keep this group going to teach all the basic playing skills.

I attend the Columbus Dulcimer Club which plays in DAD and is a bit advanced, and is too advanced for my Clintonville members to be able to play at their level soon.

I would like to eventually start up another group much the Firelands Dulcimer Club I belonged to that still meets in Norwalk, Ohio. We had limberjacks, guitars, a fiddle, a hammer dulcimer, bodhran, I took a ventriloquist dummy at one point (sold him). We performed for nursing homes, at a couple festivals... all fun. We would let audience members try the limberjacks and play until everyone who wanted, had a turn. We sang. Some members did solos and duets. The Columbus Dulcimer Club might turn into that, but if not, maybe another club. I think Columbus can use more folk music clubs. When I had practiced a tune well enough to perform, I pulled out my tin whistle, bodhran, clapped, sang.... Eventually I practiced enough to be able to play all the songs.

So if you like folk music and the dulcimer, come join us at our beginner's club. And then go with me also to the Columbus Dulcimer Club.

And let's have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment